Ingredients for the Au jus:
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 10 ounce cans beef consommé soup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme
Ingredients for assembly:
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 6 large dinner rolls or 12 small dinner rolls
- 1 pound sliced roast beef
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add beef consommé, Worcestershire sauce and thyme.
- Combine melted butter with 1 tablespoon au jus. Cut dinner rolls in half and place bottoms in baking dish. Brush rolls with half of melted butter mixture. Top with sliced roast beef and sliced provolone cheese and cover with tops of sliced rolls. Brush with remaining butter mixture.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve immediately with remaining au jus.
- This dish can be made in advance. Prepare sandwiches and store covered in the fridge for up to 1 day. Increase baking time to 30 minutes.
Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!