Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1½ cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- ½ cup butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz. American cheese, cubed
- 8 oz. processed cheese food, cubed
- ¼ cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until not quite done, about 6 minutes. Drain.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Blend in the flour, mustard powder and pepper until smooth. Slowly stir in the milk, beating out any lumps.
- Add the American and processed cheeses, and stir constantly until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Drain noodles, and stir them into the cheese sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top. Cover the dish, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!