- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- One (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 medium bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, cored
- Two (14.5 ounce) cans no salt added diced tomatoes, juice reserved
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, salt, pepper, oregano, onion, oatmeal, zucchini, egg, and spinach. Mix until well combined.
- Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9X13 baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture.
- Pour the tomatoes with their juices over the peppers.
- Cover with aluminum and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake the peppers until mixture inside peppers reaches 165 degrees. (about 30-45 more minutes)