- 1 can 15.5 ounce low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed with cold water)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 scallions (green and white minced about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro (or basil leaves or a combination)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- Add beans to a bowl and mash with a fork until chunky.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Add precooked rice, scallions, garlic and oregano, salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each portion into a patty about ¾ to 1 inch thick.
- Place a large skillet on the stove on high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add oil.
- Add burgers and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side until browned on both sides and heated throughout.
- Place on a whole wheat bun.
Use old-fashioned rolled oats, leftover cooked barley or Panko breadcrumbs instead of prepared rice. Serve with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, low-fat cheese, or low-fat yogurt.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!