- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup super-fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup oil, for frying
- Mix 2 Tbsp. of the sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.
- Place eggs, cornmeal, coconut, remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar and the baking powder in medium bowl; mix with hands until mixture is well blended and forms soft dough.
- Shape 1/4-cup portions of dough into 2-inch rounds with moistened hands.
- Poke hole in center of each with end of wooden spoon or finger.
- Heat oil in deep skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the fritters, one at a time, to hot oil.
- Fry 3 min. or until golden brown on both sides, turning over once.
- Remove from oil with slotted spoon.
- Immediately add to sugar mixture; turn over to evenly coat both sides.
- Serve warm.