Brown Rice Pilaf w/ Apples & Dried Fruits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped peeled carrot
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups chopped apples (1-inch pieces)
- 2¼ cups low sodium vegetable stock (or water)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup raisins
- 1/8 cup unsweetened dried apricots, chopped
- 1/8 cup unsweetened dried cherries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Rinse rice in a colander with cold water for about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cinnamon, ginger and garlic and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in rinsed rice, vegetable broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer. After about 20 minutes, add apples and continue to simmer until all of the broth is absorbed and rice is tender, about 30 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in dried fruit and let stand, covered for about 10 minutes until fruit is soft.
- Stir in chopped parsley and serve immediately.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!