Caramel Popcorn Balls
Yield: Makes 12-14 balls or squares
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon white or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 cup salted butter, plus more for bowl and hands
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- Grease a large mixing bowl with butter or cooking spray.
- In a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, stir together sugar, corn syrup, vinegar, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stir in butter. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil gently until light golden brown, about 3 minutes, stirring often, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Put popped corn into the large mixing bowl. Pour syrup mixture over the popcorn and stir with a spatula until popcorn is evenly coated. As soon as the mixture is cool enough to handle, butter your hands and shape the popcorn into 2- to 3-inch balls. When the balls are cool, wrap them in plastic or waxed paper.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!