- 3 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- zest of one lemon
- 7 ounces (1 ¾ cups) Gouda cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces dry penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter. Add garlic, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of salt and stir to combine. Place cauliflower florets on a sheet pan and top with butter mixture. Gently mix to evenly coat cauliflower. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan over low heat. Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter and flour. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring the whole time, and being careful to get around the edges of the pan. Add ¼ cup milk and whisk thoroughly so there are no lumps. Repeat with remaining milk, adding ¼ cup at a time. Whisking constantly, increase heat to medium, and bring to a low boil. Add onion, then lower heat to simmer. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, add the mint, parsley, lemon zest and 5 ounces (1 ¼ cup) shredded Gouda and mix until the cheese is melted. Add the pepper flakes and the pasta and stir.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and place in prepared casserole dish in even layer. Pour pasta mixture over cauliflower and mix gently. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the sauce starts to firm and the top is golden brown and crusty. Remove from oven and wait to let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!