Ingredients for Pastry:
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold milk
Ingredients for Filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup each: chopped onion, celery, carrot and potato
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each: poultry seasoning, salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups diced or shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: about 1 hour total
Makes 4 large or 6 medium servings.
- Cut butter into flour in a medium bowl with a pastry blender or a fork until butter is the size of peas.
- Lightly stir in cream cheese, salt and milk until a soft dough forms. Set aside.
- To prepare filling, melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion, celery, carrot and potato; cook, for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, Add flour and cook for 2 minutes more, then slowly stir in stock.
- Add remaining filling ingredients and cook for 5 minutes more over low heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Divide dough into 4 or 6 equal pieces. Roll each into a 1/8-inch thick circle on a lightly floured board. Place equal amounts of filling on half of each circle, then fold over to enclose filling and press edges to seal.
- Fold over edges and crimp with your fingers or with a fork and cut 3 small slits in the top of each.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.