Ingredients for Pastry:
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold milk
Ingredients for Filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup each: chopped onion, celery, carrot and potato
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each: poultry seasoning, salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups diced or shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cut butter into flour in a medium bowl with a pastry blender or a fork until butter is the size of peas. Lightly stir in cream cheese, salt and milk until a soft dough forms. Set aside.
- To prepare filling, melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion, celery, carrot and potato; cook, for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, Add flour and cook for 2 minutes more, then slowly stir in stock. Add remaining filling ingredients and cook for 5 minutes more over low heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide dough into 4 or 6 equal pieces. Roll each into a 1/8-inch thick circle on a lightly floured board. Place equal amounts of filling on half of each circle, then fold over to enclose filling and press edges to seal. Fold over edges and crimp with your fingers or with a fork and cut 3 small slits in the top of each.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Makes 4 large or 6 medium servings.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!