Chicken and Escarole Soup with Lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts), sliced into ¼-inch thick half moons
- 3 carrots, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 ribs celery, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups torn escarole leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and 8 cups of water. Add the chicken breasts. Let the soup come to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and when cool enough to handle, shred into small pieces. Continue to simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Add the escarole and simmer until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Divide the soup among bowls and top with dill.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!