- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen green peas
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2/3 cup 2 percent milk
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and celery in butter until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, basil and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add broth; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened; reduce heat.
- Add peas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken.
- Pour into a greased 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine baking mix and basil.
- Stir in milk with a fork until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into 12 mounds over chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!