Submitted by Kathy Johnson of Salem, Ohio
Ingredients for Filling:
- 2 pkgs. cream cheese, softened (3oz. ea.)
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 chocolate covered nougat, caramel and peanut candy bars, unwrapped, finely chopped (2.07oz. each)
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 chocolate covered nougat, caramel and peanut candy bar, unwrapped, finely chopped (2.07oz.), if desired
- Heat oven to 350°. Place paper baking cup in each space of a muffin pan.
Directions for the Filling:
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and the egg with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- With spoon, stir in the 2 chopped candy bars and set aside.
Directions for the Cupcakes:
- In a large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla; beat 2 minutes with electric mixer on medium speed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, about half-way full. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture in center of batter in each cup.
- Bake 23-30 minutes or until cream cheese mixture is light golden brown. Cool in pans 15 minutes (cupcakes will sink slightly in center). Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool.
Directions for the Frosting:
- Meanwhile, in a 1-1/2 qt. saucepan, cook brown sugar and butter over medium heat, stirring frequently, just until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Cool 30 minutes.
- With spoon, beat 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar into the brown sugar mixture until spreadable, adding 1 tablespoon additional powdered sugar at a time if necessary. Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped candy bar.