Submitted by Nikki Howell of Minerva, Ohio
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup water
Ingredients for Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3-4 Tbsp. milk
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, melted cooled
- Heat oven to 350°. Place paper baking cup in each space of a muffin pan.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time. Beat 2 minutes longer.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla until well blended.
- On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1/3 of the mixture at a time, and water, about 1/2 at a time, beating until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat frosting ingredients with electric mixer on medium sped until smooth and spreadable. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time. Frost cupcakes as desired.