- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/3 cup milk
- Heavy cream, whipped or ice cream, if desired
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- For filling: STIR together butter, sugar, vanilla and cocoa.
- Set aside.
- For sugar syrup: PLACE butter in 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Place in oven just until melted.
- Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan.
- Heat until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
- For crust: PLACE flour in medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk. Stir with fork just until mixture begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface just until smooth.
- Roll out dough to 12 x 10-inch rectangle.
- SPREAD cocoa mixture over dough leaving about 1/2-inch strip on one long side uncovered.
- Beginning with other long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion.
- Pat water on uncovered edge.
- Press to seal.
- Cut into 12 slices.
- Arrange slices in baking dish over melted butter.
- Pour sugar syrup carefully around and over rolls. (This looks like too much liquid, but crust will absorb it.)
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with cream, whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!