- 1 chocolate cookie crust
- crushed peppermint candies, chocolate shavings, Optional
Ingredients for Filling:
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Ingredients for Peppermint Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- Beat egg yolks in medium bowl; gradually Stir in half-and-half until blended. MIX sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt in large heavy saucepan. Gradually, stir in egg yolk mixture until blended.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 12 minutes. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat immediately. Stir in chocolate, butter and vanilla, until melted and smooth.
- Pour into piecrust. Press piece of plastic wrap onto surface of filling to prevent a “skin” from forming. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To Serve: Fold crushed candies into whipped cream. Spread over filling. Garnish with additional crushed candies and chocolate shavings, if desired.