Submitted by Kathy Johnson of Salem, Ohio
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 Tbsp. milk
- 6 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Chocolate for dipping
- Combine sugar, salt, cream, milk, corn syrup, and chocolate in 3-qt. heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and mixture reaches a boil. Cover and let boil 3 minutes (watch that it does not boil over).
- Remove cover and cook, without stirring, to the soft ball stage (238°). If sugar crystals form on side of pan, wipe them off. Pour at once onto cool, moist platter, baking sheet or marble slab. Let cool until lukewarm.
- Then beat until fondant becomes creamy. Knead with hands until smooth; add vanilla, working it into mix. Wrap with waxed paper, put in a container, cover tightly and store in refrigerator at least 24 hours, or for several weeks.
- When ready to coat with chocolate, let candy reach temperature of cool room in which you will do the dipping. Divide in 4 portions and flatten each. Roll each to make 1” in diameter. Cut 1/2” slices and shape in ovals, rounds, or as you like. Put in a cool place until set. Then dip in chocolate. Makes about 48 centers or 2 pounds.