Ingredients for Caramel:
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Ingredients for Topping:
- 1 cup dark chocolate baking chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Line 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil, extending over edges. Butter bottom and sides of foil.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk in heavy 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until candy thermometer reaches 240°F-242°F or small amount of mixture dropped into cold water forms soft pliable ball. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Cool 2 hours at room temperature until set.
- Combine chocolate chips and whipping cream in bowl. Microwave 1-2 minutes, stirring every 15 seconds, until chocolate is melted. Spread mixture evenly over caramels. Cool 5 minutes; sprinkle with sea salt. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Remove caramels from pan using foil; remove foil. Cut into 1-inch squares with sharp knife. Wrap caramels in candy wrappers or waxed paper. Store refrigerated. Remove from refrigerator 10 minutes before serving.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!