Ingredients for the Dough:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Filling:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
For the Glaze:
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- To make dough, combine milk and butter in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until butter has melted and milk has warmed through. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 to 115°F.
- In small bowl, combine warm water, yeast and one teaspoon sugar. Let sit until yeast blooms or foams, about 10 minutes.
- Pour warmed milk and butter mixture into bowl of stand mixer, fitted with dough hook attachment. Add yeast mixture, egg, remaining sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Mix on low until ingredients incorporate and dough comes together. Add in as much of remaining flour as needed to create a soft and somewhat sticky dough.
- Knead on medium speed 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer dough to oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and damp towel and allow to rest in warm spot until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- To make filling, in medium bowl beat together cream cheese, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Transfer dough to well-floured work surface and roll out into large thin rectangle. Spread evenly with prepared filling mixture.
- Starting on a long side, roll dough into tight log; place into greased 9-inch spring form pan, coiling dough to fit in pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and damp towel and let rest once more until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make topping, in medium bowl, toss together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter using pastry cutter or knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs the size of peas. Stir in pecans.
- Once dough has risen, brush top liberally with melted butter and sprinkle evenly with prepared topping.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack 20 minutes before removing sides of pan.
- To make glaze, beat together cream cheese, butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and milk until smooth. If it’s too thick to drizzle, add more milk, a little bit at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle over cake and then cut and serve. The cake can be covered and stored at room temperature 2 days.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!