- 12 to 16 fresh ears of corn
- 3 cups (6 stalks) celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 s sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 s green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (2 medium) onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 s vinegar
- 1 3/4 s sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/3 all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Cut corn from cobs (do not scrape cobs). Measure 8 cups cut corn. In 8 or 10 quart kettle or Dutch oven combine corn and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 12 minutes or until corn is nearly tender.
Add celery, red and green pepper and onion. Stir in 2 cups vinegar, sugar, pickling salt and celery seed. Return to boiling. Boil, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir together remaining vinegar, flour, dry mustard and turmeric. Add to corn mixture. Cook and stir until bubbly; cook 1 minute more. Ladle into hot, sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water canner 15 minutes. Makes 7 pints.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!