- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored Crisco shortening
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 1/2 cups broccoli ? fresh, chopped, blanched and drained
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Copoundy Jack cheese, shredded
- Ricotta cheese (15 oz)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 1/4 cup bacon, finely chopped and fried crisp
Combine the flour, salt and shortening in a medium mixing bowl. Mix until coarse crumbs form. Gradually add 4 to 5 tablespoons of ice water until moistened. Roll out on a well floured surface until 1 1/2 inches larger than the pan. Place crust in a 9-inch deep dish pie pan. Trim edges and crimp edges. Use excess dough to make pastry shapes to decorate top if desired. Set shell aside. In a large skillet, sauté onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Place onion into a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, broccoli, cheeses, pepper and bacon. Stir well. Pour into the prepared pie shell. Bake in a 350º oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center. Bake pastry cut-outs until lightly browned. Decorate top with pastry or cheese cut-outs if desired.
Recipe from Pennsylvania Vegetable Growers Association.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!