- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1 egg (or 2 egg whites) (medium)
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (optional, for glaze)
- 1 teaspoon water (optional, for glaze)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Grate orange peeling, then squeeze juice from orange. Add additional orange juice to make 3/4 cup.
- In a separate bowl, blend orange juice, butter, egg, and grated orange peel; add to flour mixture, stirring until just blended.
- Mix in cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour batter into a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan, greased on bottom only.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove and cool completely on wire rack.
- Optional: to make glaze, mix powdered sugar and water; add water as needed to make thin glaze. Drizzle over cooled loaf.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!