- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 1 (28 oz.) can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (thyme, basil, oregano and/or Italian flat-leaf parsley), minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
In large saucepan, cook onion in oil over moderately low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
Stir in eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini and red pepper. Bring to simmer over moderate heat. Cook uncovered until most of liquid has evaporated and vegetables are soft,
about 15 minutes. Add olives and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook 3 minutes to blend flavors. Serve warm or at room temperature.