submitted by Tammy Reese of Farm and Dairy!
Ingredients for the dough:
- 3 cups flour or gluten free flour blend (plus a little more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
Ingredients for the filling:
- Oil enough to fill deep fryer or enough to have 3 inches of oil in a stock pot.
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced, seeded and ribs removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded then diced cooked chicken breasts.
- 1 cup shredded Monterey and Cheddar cheese blend
- 4 ounces cream cheese, diced
- Dash of hot sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
Ingredients for the Chili Lime Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce), minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
Directions for the dough:
- In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
- Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
Directions for the empanadas:
- Preheat the deep frier or oil in a pan to 375 degrees F.
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, jalapeño, garlic, green onions and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cheese, cream cheese, sauteed mixture and hot sauce together.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Set aside. Sprinkle flour on your work surface and unroll the dough.
- Roll out each round to a 13-inch circle. Cut each crust into 8 (4-inch) circles with a biscuit cutter. You can knead the scraps and then roll out, if necessary.
- Spoon about 1 heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture into the center of each round.
- Brush the edges with the egg wash and fold each circle in half. Gently press on the top of the empanada to release any air. Seal the edges with a fork and brush the top with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle with chile powder.
- Place each empanada into the oil. Cook them in batches to ensure that you do not overcrowd them. The crust will be golden brown when finished (about 4 – 6 minutes).
Directions for the Chili Lime Dipping Sauce:
- Combine the yogurt, chipotle and lime zest and juice in a bowl.
- Serve the chicken empanadas with the Chili Lime Dipping Sauce.