Submitted by Tammy Reese
Ingredients For Meringues:
- 3 eggs whites (WARNING: Do not use egg whites from a carton, they will not work)
- 1 1/2 tsp of clear vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
- Dash of Salt
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1 quart of fresh or frozen strawberries, hulled and cut up.
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 pint of raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 8 Meringue Cookies, crushed up, or 2 per serving
Ingredients For Eton Mess:
Directions for Merinques:
- Place egg whites in a mixing bowl and let come up to room temperature. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add Vanilla, Cream of Tartar and Salt to the Egg Whites and begin to whip them until frothy. Slowly add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating on high until dissolved after each addition.
- Continue whipping the egg white mixture until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes on high.
- Next, carefully put the whipped egg white mixture into a food storage bag and snip off one corner or place into a pastry bag. Pipe half dollar size dollops onto the cookie sheet. These do not spread or grow in size, so it is safe to put them close together.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until firm to the touch. Close oven, turn it off and leave the meringue cookies in there for at least one hour, but overnight would be better. This makes approximately 36 cookies which can then be stored for months in a freezer and used when needed.
Directions for Eton Mess:
- Place the Raspberries and the quarter cup of sugar in a sauce pan and begin to heat on medium. Heat until the berries have begun to give up their juice and the sugar is dissolved into the juice. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Whip heavy cream in a mixer with a whisk attachment on high until peaks begin to form. If you are using Cool Whip, skip this step.
- Fold the Strawberries and Meringue Cookies into the Whipped Cream. Put into individual bowls or cups for serving and drizzle with raspberry sauce.