- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup ketchup (divided)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red, green and yellow bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In bowl of food processor, pulse bread until fine crumbs form.
- Transfer to medium bowl and add beef.
- Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots and parsley in processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add to bowl and combine all, using your hands.
- Add egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, the salt and pepper, along with the chopped peppers, combining thoroughly with your hands.
- Pack into 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Pan will be full.
- In small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, the dry mustard and brown sugar, stirring until smooth.
- Brush mixture over top of meatloaf.
- Bake in preheated oven until meat thermometer inserted into center reaches 160°, about 1 1/2 hours.
- If top of meatloaf gets too dark, cover with foil.
- Let meatloaf stand 15 minutes before slicing to allow juices to reabsorb.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!