- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, optional
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in the flour, bouillon, onion salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and white pepper if desired until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk and broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add sausage; heat through.
- Combine the eggs, cottage cheese and remaining pepper.
- Spread 1 cup sausage mixture in a greased 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish.
- Layer with three noodles, a third of the sausage mixture, half of the cottage cheese mixture and sauerkraut and 3/4 cup Monterey Jack.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with the remaining noodles and sausage mixture (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!