Recipe Provided By Chef Alexandra I. Lopez, The Food Diva
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups corn oil
- 1/4 cup sugar, for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, for dusting
- 4 apples, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
Directions for Churros:
- In a large sauce pan bring water, butter, salt, sugar, vanilla and ginger to a rolling boil.
- Over low heat, vigorously stir in flour all at once for about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a stand mixer, beat in eggs until smooth.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet.
- For authentic looking churros, spoon the dough into a piping bag with large star tip.
- Squeeze 4-inch strips of dough onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Leave at least a ¼ inch of space in between each churro.
- Place churros into refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to set.
- When ready to fry place 3 or 4 strips at a time into hot oil and cook until golden brown, turning once; about 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in bowl and coat churros with mixture while they are still warm.
- Serve with apples and vanilla ice cream.
Directions for Carmel Apples:
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add ginger and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar and apple juice.
- After sugar dissolves, add the apples to the ginger-sugar and cook for 4 minutes or until apple are soft.
- Serve warm with ice cream and churros.