- 1 10 oz. package frozen soy burgers
- 3 tablespoons canned vegetable broth
- 1 8 oz. can pineapple slices (juice pack)
- 1/2 a medium red onion, sliced
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices fat-free process or reduced-fat Swiss cheese (4 oz.)
- 4 tablespoons bottled fat-free Thousand Island salad dressing
- 4 leaves leaf lettuce
For a charcoal grill, grill burgers on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling and brushing with vegetable broth several times. Add pineapple and onion slices to grill for the last 3 minutes of grilling time, turning once halfway through grilling. Add bun, split side down, to grill for the last 1 minute of grilling time. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Serve burgers on grilled buns, topped with pineapple, onion, cheese, salad dressing, and lettuce.
This is a healthier version of a burger served at Gwyn?s High Alpine Restaurant in Snowmass, Colorado. The original, named after restaurant owner George Gordon, is topped with pineapple and bacon.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!