- 4 (4 oz.) fresh bratwurst (or cooked or smoked varieties)
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat, lard or olive oil
- 3 s onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 12 ozs. dark or amber beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground country-style mustard
- 4 crusty hoagie or Italian rolls, split
Heat fat in 12-inch, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sugar, stir well to coat with fat. saute onions, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes, or until turning golden brown. Add beer, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add bay leaves, lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Stir mustard into onions, remove from heat and set aside, discarding bay leaves.
Grill bratwurst over medium-hot fire, turning to brown evenly, until nicely browned and internal temperature (read with meat thermometer) is 160°. Remove from grill and add to skillet with onions. Over medium heat, cook and stir until sauce becomes syrupy. Serve bratwurst in rolls, smothered with onions.
National Pork Board
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!