- 6 to 8 ears fresh sweet corn
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Strip the kernels from the cooked corn. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter and brush the insides of six 4-ounce ramekins.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the half and half, milk, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the corn.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins. Top each ramekin with onions.
- Bake the custards until set, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- The center may appear soft but will firm up as the custard cools. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before garnishing with chives and serving. Makes 6 servings.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!