- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon light or dark brown sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- In sauté pan set over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, salt and pepper. Cook until caramelized, stirring every 5-10 minutes. If onions begin to burn, turn down heat. Once caramelized, Add the brown sugar and garlic, stir, and cook for 1 minute more. Remove onions from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In food processor, pulse onions, cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Put dip into bowl and chill for 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Top with chives, if desired.