- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 6 cups half-and-half
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Blend in 2 cups milk and 2 cups of the half-and-half.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Beat the eggs.
- Stir a small amount of the hot cornstarch mixture into the beaten eggs; then stir the eggs into the remaining cornstarch mixture.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Chill thoroughly. (This is essential for a smooth ice cream.)
- Stir in vanilla and remaining 4 cups of chilled half-and-half.
- Freeze in a gallon ice cream freezer using 1 part salt to 6 parts crushed ice.
- Yield: about 3 1/2 quarts or 28 half-cup servings.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!