- 1 can (15 to 16 ounce) pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, depending on how spicy a
- 1 quart (4 cups) of a lower fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt,
- 1 (9-inch) prepared graham cracker pie crust
- Whipped topping, if desired
flavor you enjoy
- Mix the pumpkin, sugar and spice until well blended.
- Quickly mix pumpkin mixture with the softened ice cream.
- Pour into crumb crust and freeze, uncovered, until firm — a couple of hours.
- When pie is frozen, cover with plastic wrap and then cover with freezer-quality foil or place in a freezer bag and squish out the air.
- Thaw pie slightly at room temperature (about 5 to 10 minutes) before serving.
- Top with whipped topping, if desired.
- If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, for each teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, you can substitute a combination of:
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Soften ice cream by placing the container in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to 20 minutes.
- Avoid repeatedly softening and refreezing ice cream as it gets icy.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!