- 1 box vanilla or chocolate cake mix
- 1 container (1.5 quarts) ice cream, softened
- 1 tub Cool Whip, or vanilla or chocolate icing
- Pink or white frosting for decorating
- Sliced and whole strawberries (option: sliced peaches)
- Bake cake according to recipe on box in two 9-inch pans.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pans to cool completely.
- Split each cake layer in half horizontally to create four layers.
- Place one cake layer, cut side up, on a serving plate lined with a doily.
- Spread any flavor of ice cream on top and sprinkle with sliced, fresh strawberries or peaches.
- Add the second layer, cut side down, along with the ice cream and fresh fruit filling.
- Repeat this process for the remaining layers.
- For the top layer, decorate with Cool Whip or icing, and a special message with pink frosting.
- Line whole strawberries or pipe rosettes around the edge of cake.
- Freeze the cake for later enjoyment. (This special dessert can also be made into a two-layer sheet cake, then cut into squares when served.)