Ingredients for the Filling:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 egg yolks, well beaten
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon peel
Ingredients for the Meringue:
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 5 egg whites, room temp.
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Filling: heat oven to 325°f. Filling: mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in large heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in water and lemon juice until smooth.
- Add egg yolks; stir until blended. Add butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel.
- Immediately make the meringue: dissolve cornstarch in cold water in one-cup glass measure.
- Microwave on high 30 seconds; stir. Microwave until mixture boil, 15 to 30 seconds longer. Remove; cover.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, add sugar, 1 tbsp. At a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- Beating constantly, add cornstarch paste, 1 to 2 tbsp. At a time. Beat in vanilla.
- Pour hot filling into piecrust.
- Quickly spread meringue evenly over filling, starting at edge and sealing to crust all around; swirl with back of spoon.
- Bake in upper third of 325°f oven until lightly browned, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack 30 minutes to 1 hour. Serve freshly made pie at room temperature, or refrigerate, uncovered. Garnish with lemon peel twists and fresh mint.