Lobster Cauli-Mac and Cheese
Courtesy of: American Diabetes Association
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cauliflower (trimmed into florets (8 cups florets))
- 5 cup water
- 2 4-oz frozen lobster tails or 1 cup chopped imitation lobster meat
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp.all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (fat-free)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. hot sauce
- 3 oz. Colby jack cheese (reduced-fat)
- 4 oz. cream cheese (fat-free)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe dish. Pour 1 cup of water over the cauliflower and cover. Microwave for 12 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Drain and then keep warm.
- While cauliflower is microwaving: If using lobster tails, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and then reduce until water is just barely simmering. Add the lobster tails to the water and poach for 7 minutes. Remove the tails from the water to cool slightly. Cut the lobster tails, remove the meat from the tails and chop. Makes about a cup of lobster meat.
- Add olive oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the milk while whisking. Add the nutmeg, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the Colby-Jack and cream cheeses and stir until melted.
- Add the cauliflower to the baking dish. Use a fork to break up the florets into 1-inch or smaller pieces.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle the lobster over the cauliflower and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle the panko bread crumbs evenly over the top of the casserole and then spray the top of the panko with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!