- 2 cups shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup canned kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream (regular or low fat)
- 1 cup tortilla chips (regular or baked)
In a plastic container big enough to use as a bowl for the finished salad, toss together lettuce and tomato. In small plastic container with tight-fitting lid, stir together beans and salsa. Pack shredded cheese and sour cream in separate plastic containers. Finally, pack tortilla chips in zip-top plastic bag. At lunchtime, open container of lettuce. Dump bean mixture on top, add dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Finally, crumble tortilla chips on top and lunch is served! Serves 1.
This totable taco salad makes a sweet treat for school lunches. Some assembly required, but kids love tossing together all the fixings and are sure to enjoy this welcome break from PB&J.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!