- 1 lb. dried Navy or Great Northern beans
- 3/4 lb. lean, salted pork, cut into 1″ squares
- 1 lg. onion, rough diced
- 1/2 cup black molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. mustard
- Soak beans overnight in water (keep water), in the morning rinse and pick through beans.
- Boil beans until skins break or beans are soft.
- Place pork on bottom of pot (Mom uses a large ceramic pot made in Mexico, but any oven safe baking dish would work).
- Put onion over pork.
- Add molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, ginger, nutmeg & mustard.
- Add beans into pot and add liquid (water from soaked beans) to top. Bake 350º, covered.
- 1-3 pm check add liquid.
- 4pm add no more liquid.
- 6pm ready to serve.
- You can also modify this recipe for the slow cooker.
- stack the ingredients into the pot and add liquid; just don’t add any liquid later in the day.
- Cook on low setting for the day until ready to serve.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!