Submitted by Tom Hensel
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 lb dates (approximately 2 package—may have some filling left)
- Cook dates in a little water (just cover the dates) with 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- Add 1 cup finely chopped walnuts.
- Blend with hand mixer or emulsion blender, then set aside.
- Beat the 3 eggs first, then add 1 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 cup Crisco together.
- Then mix in the 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 1/2 cups flour.
- Divide the dough into two balls.
- Roll each ball of dough on plastic wrap sprinkled with flour about 1/4” thick lengthwise.
- Spread mixture fairly thin onto dough and roll up like a jellyroll lengthwise.
- Chill in refrigerator overnight.
- Slice ¼” thick, put on greased cookie sheet.
- Leave second cookie roll in refrigerateor until ready to bake it.
- Preheat oven to @350 degrees then bake for 15-18 min (can vary with different ovens).