* * * * * This recipe uses CANDY orange slices, not fresh oranges * * * * *
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb cut-up CANDY orange slices
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Set aside.
- Combine candy orange slices, dates, nuts and coconut in large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of flour/salt mixture to dried fruit mixture; stir well to coat with flour.
- In large bowl, mix butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar while beating, to cream well.
- Add 4 eggs—one at a time.
- Beat well after each egg.
- Combine soda with buttermilk.
- To egg mixture, add buttermilk/soda alternately with flour/salt mixture.
- Blend well.
- Lastly, add fruit/nut mixture to batter, and stir well.
- Pour into large tube pan that has been greased and floured.
- Bake at 300 F for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Combine orange juice and sifted powdered sugar, mix well, and pour over hot cake.
- Allow to cool.
- Cover and let stand in refrigerator overnight before removing from pan.
- May make 5 smaller loaves if desired.
- Reduce cooking time to 1-1 1/4 hours; test to be sure is done.
Makes 1 large or 5 small loaves to yield 50 servings.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!