- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 slices (1/2 inch thick) fresh ginger, unpeeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 lbs. small red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In large nonstick skillet over low heat, heat oil. Add garlic, ginger, fennel, cumin and turmeric. Cook 1 minute.
Add potatoes, shaking pan to coat potatoes with spice mixture. Cook until potatoes begin to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water, cover pan and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Sprinkle salt over potatoes and toss. Remove and discard ginger. Sprinkle lemon juice over potatoes. Serve garlic cloves in their skin; each diner can then squeeze roasted garlic from its skin out onto the potatoes.