- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup frozen onion, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen celery, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen green or red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 cups canned pinto beans, drained (USDA reduced sodium)
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with liquid (USDA reduced sodium)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup Corn grits (quick dry)
- In a large stockpot, saute onions, carrots, celery, and bell pepper in vegetable oil for about 10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, spices, and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add grits and cook over low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- CCP: Heat to 165° or higher for at least 15 seconds.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!