- 1/8 cup Pepitas/Pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/4 cups Quinoa, dry
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium chicken base
- 1/2 cup fresh onion, peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup canned diced green chilies
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (2-4 Tbsp optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Toast pepitas in oven for 10 minutes or until light brown and aromatic.
- Set aside.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear, not cloudy.
- Combine quinoa, 2 ½ cups water, and chicken base in a small pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer until water is completely absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
- When done, quinoa will be soft and a white ring will pop out of the kernel.
- The white ring will appear only when it is fully cooked.
- Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of quinoa, water, and chicken base.
- Mix quinoa, onions, green chilies, and garlic in an 8” x 8” nonstick baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cover pan and bake at 350 °F for 40 minutes.
- Toss in cilantro, green onions, pepitas, and optional lime juice to taste.
- Serve hot.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!