- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 cups plum preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar in bowl of a stand mixer. Add egg yolk and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients except pecans in a medium bowl. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Form into tablespoon-sized balls. Roll each ball into beaten egg white, then nuts.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet. Using finger, make an indentation into the center of each ball. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Fill each cookie with preserves. Cool and serve. Yields 3 dozen.