- 2 s onions, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly, tops
- 1/2 celery, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1/2 canola or vegetable oil
- 3 (14 1/2 oz. cans) chicken broth or 6 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 s pumpkin puree or 1 (16 oz.) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 undiluted, evaporated skim milk
- salt and pepper to taste (canned chicken broth and canned pumpkin may contain added salt. Taste the finished soup before adding salt, as it may not be needed)
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped
In 6-quart saucepan, saute onions, green onions, celery and chili pepper in oil. Cook until onions begin to look translucent. Add broth, pumpkin, bay leaf and cumin. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf. Add evaporated milk and cook over low heat 5 minutes. Do not boil. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, if desired. Serve hot, garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!