Submitted by: Lynne Almasy, Week Three’s Reader’s Kitchen 2016 Winner
- 1 medium pie pumpkin
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 12 oz. milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 recipe Real whipped cream
- 1 recipe Pat-in-in-the-pan pie crust
Directions for fresh pumpkin puree:
- Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes or until flesh is tender. Cool.
- Scrape flesh and put in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. This can be done and frozen ahead of time. Keeps for about a year in a freezer bag in the freezer.
Directions for the pie:
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, spices and salt.
- Add eggs and milk. Whisk until combined. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Serve with REAL whipped cream.