- 6 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (one 49 1/2 ounces, one 14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, sauté red peppers, carrots, onions, celery and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in the broth, rice, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables and rice are tender.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Puree in small batches in a blender; return to pan.
- Add red pepper flakes; heat through.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!