- 2-1/4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 6 to 6 1/2 C. all-purpose or bread flour or part whole wheat flour
- In large mixing bowl, stir together water, oil, sugar, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, yeast and 3 cups of the flour.
- Beat 3 minutes.
- Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead 10-12 minutes by hand or with dough hook.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turn once to grease top.
- Cover, let rise until doubled.
- Punch down dough and divide into 2 pieces and form them into round loaves.
- Place on greased or parchment lined large baking sheet.
- Brush with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled.
- Beat together 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water until frothy.
- Brush on loaves.
- Option: Carefully cut slits on top of the loaves.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven 30-35 minutes until golden brown .
- Makes 2 loaves.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!