- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt or 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 1-1/2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar (optional)
- 1-3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- If using an electric mixer, use the paddle attachment for 1 minute at lowest speed.
- Allow dough to rest for 5 minutes to fully hydrate the flour.
- Change to the dough hook and mix on medium low for 2 to 3 minutes, or mix by hand.
- Dough should be soft, pliable, tacky (not too sticky).
- Spread 1 teaspoon olive oil on work surface, turn out dough, and rub hands with oil.
- Pull and stretch dough and fold into center on all four sides, then tuck it into a ball.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal pieces (approximately 8 ounces each).
- Individual dough balls can be placed in a freezer baggie (mist with spray oil) and refrigerated up to 4 days or frozen for 2 months.
- Ninety minutes before baking, remove dough from refrigerator and place on a lightly oiled surface.
- With lightly oiled hands, stretch dough into tight balls and allow to rest until ready to bake.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!